Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Should Stay Only At Home to Be Safe – But That Is Not the Purpose of Coming Here

Translated by Ian Haight and Hwajin Kang (original: http://blog.naver.com/mahabira6061/70135178570)

The first day I left my inn I felt extremely unsafe. Streets, people, the language—all of it looked so unfamiliar. I was exhausted by the time I came back to my room. Although the room is not my own, I could not help feeling so comfortable and safe on the bed. I sleep like a corpse at night. Due to anxiety over the last few days, I have already lost 4 pounds. Losing this much weight without doing any exercise proves I have been quite nervous. I lay down and as I look at the ceiling, I think about my first day here. The only place I could be safe was in this room. As long as I was in my room I did not have to worry about whether a foreign person would come up to me and start speaking a language I don’t understand or whether I would get lost. Yet, these fears are not the purpose for me coming all the way here. This is not my house either. Was I born just to rely on safety? According to Buddhism, this world is full of things that make us suffer. Am I willing to bear all my pains? I am not here for safety and comfort. If we were bounded into a cage and received delicious food, a warm bed, and entertainment, how many would be willing to live there forever? Everyone has a different perspective, but if it was me, I would hardly enjoy staying there. I once read that “we feel safest when a ship is in a harbor, but we do not make a ship just to leave it there.” Yes, prayer and asceticism must work the same way. We don’t stop our prayers; we don’t stop our ascetic practice when we feel enough fulfillment. Despite a sense of fulfillment, we continue to step forward. Although it may be exceedingly harsh and fearful, we can strongly believe that a journey is the right way because of the fear we feel. Then why should we have any fear? This idea comes from a book titled The Great Monk Guangduk’s Ideas and History, found at my temple, Bul-Guang Temple. Guangduk’s life shows a way for us to live and inspires us. After thinking about his logical ideas with my best judgment, I could see the value in his high ideas and trust them. Therefore, I never stopped taking my steps forward. Indeed, I do not fear darkness and pain. The most evolved sentient beings in this world, in this universe, must be humans. We do not step back from darkness and we can courageously take a big step outside our comfort zone. We don’t need to live small. We have strong souls to fulfill something grand and valuable. I am not saying I am one of these brave sentient beings, but I know I am here to become one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment