Thursday, April 5, 2012

I Gained Selfish Self-esteem After Looking At A Beggar

Translated by Ian Haight and Hwajin Kang (original: http://blog.naver.com/mahabira6061/70135359425)


An old man in plain clothes seems as if he’s enjoying himself while humming his music. Just a few minutes before, I was sitting down on a bench in a small park. A woman beggar was slowly coming toward me. I was worried she might come ask me for something or threaten me. I didn’t move though. I felt bad about running away from her because of it. So, I was just sitting still uncomfortably. Nonetheless, her target was not me. It was the trash can beside me. She started dumping the contents of the trash can out and searched for food. She found a can of soup, and she drank the soup inside the can without any hesitation. She then walked to another trash can.

I have never witnessed a beggar searching for food out of a trash can. I soon felt mixed feelings. She must have been someone’s dear daughter once, but how could she take food out of a trash can without feeling embarrassed? I realized I was wrong. At first I was worried that she would harm me. I felt so ashamed of myself. I was afraid of her…she wasn’t a robber or mafia. She was just a person who only cared about her daily meal.


Ironically, I felt some kind of self-esteem. Poverty and beggars also exist in developed countries. As a result, I felt self-esteem after observing someone’s hardship. Are my feelings true characteristics of human beings—to brag in front of those less fortunate than I am, and to envy those better than I am? Just like others, I started my life as a baby.



No comments:

Post a Comment